The Business Investor visa will allow people who have a successful business, to invest in a new or existing business in Australia.
This is a temporary business skills visa which is the first step in applying for permanent residence.
Requirements for the Business Investor Visa – Subclass 188
Under the Business Investor Stream you will need to satisfy the following requirements:
- You will need to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) before you lodge your visa application so that you can be invited to apply.
- You must be willing to invest in a business in Australia for four (4) years.
- You must be less than 55 years of age, although a State or Territory can waive this requirement if your proposed investment will be of exceptional economic benefit to the nominated State or Territory.
- You must score at least 65 on the Innovation Points test. Points are awarded for:
- English language proficiency
- Experience in business or investments
- Net personal and business assets
- Business turnover
You (or your partner, or you and your partner combined) must also have:
- direct involvement in managing your eligible investments that total at least AUD 1.5 million for at least one (1) of the five (5) fiscal years before you are invited to apply, or
- direct involvement in managing a qualifying business in which you owned at least 10 percent of the total value of the business;
And you must also:
- make a nominated investment of at least AUD 1.5 million in a State or Territory Government security using available funds accumulated from eligible investments or qualifying businesses, and be willing to hold that investment for at least four (4) years
- have investment and personal assets of at least AUD 2.25 million that are available for legal transfer to Australia within two (2) fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply
- have an overall successful record of eligible investment or qualifying business activity with no involvement in any unacceptable activities
- have a high level of management skill in relation to eligible investments and/or qualifying business activity
- have at least three (3) years’ experience of direct involvement in managing one or more qualifying businesses or eligible investments
- have a genuine and realistic commitment to continuing your business and investment activity in Australia after the original investment has matured, and
- have a genuine intention to live for at least two (2) years in the State or Territory in which you have nominated to make your investment.
Entitlements of the Business Investor Visa – Subclass 188
- This visa will allow the business owner(s) to hold a temporary visa for up to four (4) years.
- Your immediate family members will be able to accompany you to Australia, and will have study rights and access to work.
- You and your family will be able to travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want, as long as the visa is valid.
After holding this temporary visa for two (2) years, and satisfying certain requirements under this visa, you will be entitled to apply for permanent residence under the Business Innovation and Investment Visa subclass 888.
Got your sights on the land Down Under? Migrating to Australia to establish your business? Not quite sure how to go about getting your Australian Business Visa? We’ll tell you what you need to know. [...]