The Skilled Independent visa is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers who want to work and live in Australia who are not sponsored by an employer, family member or nominated by a State or Territory Government.
The Skilled Independent visa is a points test based visa. The current eligible score for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) is 60 points.
Requirements of the Skilled Independent Visa – Subclass 189
Applicants for this visa first need to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) online and then be invited to apply for the visa.
After you have been invited to apply, you will need to demonstrate that you meet the following minimum eligibility requirements for this visa:
- That you have nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list.
- That you are younger than 50 years of age when you are invited to apply for this visa.
- That you have at least ‘competent’ English language ability at the time you are invited to apply.
- Obtained a suitable skills assessment for your nominated occupation, based on the factors in the points test below:
- English language ability
- Previous Australian and Overseas skilled work experience
- International Qualifications
- Australian study requirements and awards
- Credentialed community language qualifications
- Regional Australian Study
- Spouse skill qualifications
- Professional year in Australia
- Achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation.
- Meet certain health and character requirements.
Entitlements of the Skilled Independent Visa – Subclass 189
The Skilled Independent visa will grant you permanent residence in Australia. It will allow you and your eligible family members:
- To travel in and out of Australia and the right to stay indefinitely.
- Work and study rights in Australia.
- The opportunity to enrol in Medicare ( Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses).
- Apply for Australian citizenship once you become eligible.
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.