Who is the New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) Visa Subclass 461 for?
The New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) Visa is a unique visa whereby it allows members of the family unit of a New Zealand citizen living in Australia on a specified visa to live in Australia on a temporary basis.
This visa is perfect for de facto partners, spouses and children of a New Zealand citizen who wish to live and work in Australia as it provides applications with full work and travel rights for up to five years, and is renewable upon its expiration.
Am I Eligible for a 461 Visa?
To see if you qualify for a 461 visa, please see below for requirements as set by the Department:
- You must not be a New Zealand citizen
- You are a family member of a New Zealand citizen who is not an Eligible New Zealand citizen
- An eligible New Zealand citizen is a person who arrived in Australia on a New Zealand passport and where in Australia on 26 February 2001, were in Australia for at least 12 months in the two years prior to this date, or were assessed before 26 February 2004 as protected SCV holders
- You are the partner, child or step child, their partner’s child or stepchild, the dependant child of you or your partner’s child or stepchild of the New Zealand citizen
- Your New Zealand citizen family member is a holder of a Special Category visa (subclass 444) or will be travelling with you to Australia and will be granted a 444 visa upon arrival
- You and all family members included on your application meet certain health and character requirements
- Have your own health insurance, as you will not be covered by Australia’s national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.
- Have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government
461 Visa Checklist
How Long Does it Take?
Once received, the Department of Immigration will then commence processing your application. While the average global processing time is 75% of applications in 9 months, times may vary as assessment of eligibility occurs on a case-by-case basis and vary on the applicant’s circumstances.
It is understandable that there are circumstances that impact the processing time of your visa applications which are out of your control. These include the time for external agencies, namely health and police services, and the Government to conduct checks and provide supporting information.
While the above circumstances are unavoidable, there are some factors which will ensure you a faster processing time. These include:
- Lodging a complete application, attached with all of the necessary supporting documents.
- Being prompt in responding to any additional information the Department requests.
Fees & Costs
The cost of this visa is from $330. Please note this is only the flat rate and you may be asked to pay additional costs to cover requirements such as health assessments, police certificates and biometrics.
If you wish to add additional family members to your application, an extra fee will be imposed upon your visa application.
What Steps Should I Take to apply for a 461 Visa?
Unlike other Migration law firms, Results Migration makes the process of applying for visas straightforward. Our team of expert lawyers will work with you every step of the way and has devised a step-by-step process to ensure your application is processed as fast as possible.
- Come in for a free consultation where our team of expert lawyers will assess and advise you on the Australian visa option that best suits your needs.
- At this stage, we will gather and prepare all of the documentation as well as perform any additional checks that are required to lodge a visa application.
- We will then begin to prepare and then lodge your application in a timely manner.
In the meantime, if you are an onshore applicant you will be granted a bridging visa until your current visa expires. This will entitle you to working rights until the outcome of your 461 visa is decided.
- Finally, we will notify you of the outcome. If granted, you receive the rights listed below.
Entitlements of the New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) Visa
If you are granted a Temporary New Zealand Family Relationship visa you will be able to work and study in Australia for up to five years, and also travel to, enter and remain in Australia during this period.
461 Visa FAQs
Can I include my family members on my application?
Upon lodging your application you may include your child, step-child or your partner’s child or stepchild on your application. If granted, your family members will receive the same rights and obligations as you.
Like you, these family members will need to provide evidence that they are related to the New Zealand citizen.
Where do I have to be when applying for my application and when it is granted?
You may be inside or outside of Australia when you apply for a 461 visa. If you are onshore, you must also be inside Australia when you visa is granted, and if you are offshore, you must be outside of the country when it is granted.
What do I do if my family member is an eligible New Zealand citizen?
If your family member is considered to be an eligible New Zealand citizen, you should consider applying for an Australia permanent visa.