Subclass 173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa

Home>Family Visas>Subclass 173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa

Who is the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa Subclass 173 for?

The Australian Government has included ‘contributory’ parent visa categories into the Parent Visa scheme. If you are a parent of an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia, the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa will allow you to live in Australia for up to two years.

This visa has a shorter queue for processing and no Assurance of Support is necessary. While there is a much higher application fee to cover the costs of medical expenses, the 173 visa allows applications to spread the costs over the period they time they are in Australia.

If you are granted this visa, you may be able to apply for the Contributory Parent Visa (Permanent) Subclass 143 provided you meet the relevant criteria.


Who can sponsor me?

Being a sponsorship based visa, applicants must be sponsored by their child, or spouse of one of their children. It is preferred that your sponsor is above the age of 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. However, there are circumstances where a child under the age of 18 can be your sponsor.

The Government also permits community organisations to sponsor your application provided:

  • Your child and the organisation has a relationship
  • The senior representative of the organisation agrees to sponsor you
  • The organisation is lawfully established in Australia
  • The organisation has been operating in Australia for at least one year
  • The organisation is financially stable


Am I Eligible for a 173 Visa?

In order to qualify for a 173 visa, you will need to demonstrate that you meet the following minimum eligibility requirements:

  • Have an eligible sponsor (see above) who is willing to provide support for at least two years
  • Meet the balance-of-family test by having
    • At least half of your children residing permanently in Australia; or
    • The majority of your children residing permanently in Australia
  • Meet the health and character requirements


173 Visa Checklist

How Long Does it Take?

As assessment of eligibility occurs on a case-by-case basis and varies on the applicant’s circumstances, the time it takes for the Department to process your application will also vary.

It is understandable that there are circumstances that will impact the processing time of your visa applications, which may be out of your control. These include the time for external agencies, namely health and police services, and the Government, to conduct checks and provide supporting information.

While the above circumstances are unavoidable, there are some factors which will ensure you a faster processing time. These include:

  • Lodging a complete application, attached with all of the necessary supporting documents.
  • Being prompt in responding to any additional information the Department requests.

Learn More


Fees & Costs

The cost of this visa is priced from $31,670 and is paid in two instalments ($2,540 and $29,130 respectively). Please note that this is only the flat rate and you may be asked to pay additional costs to cover requirements such as; health assessments, police certificates and biometrics.

If you wish to add additional family members to your application, an extra fee will be imposed upon your visa application.

Learn More


What Steps Should I Take to apply for a 173 Visa?

Unlike other Migration law firms, Results Migration makes the process of applying for visas straightforward. Our team of expert lawyers will work with you every step of the way and have devised a step-by-step process to ensure your application is processed as fast as possible.

1. Schedule a free consultation with our team of expert lawyers, where we will assess and advise you on the Australian visa option that best suits you

2. At this stage, we will gather and prepare all of the documentation as well as perform any additional checks that are required to lodge a visa application.

3. After receiving your invitation to apply from the Department, we will then begin to prepare and lodge your application in a timely manner.

4. Finally, we will notify you of the outcome. If granted, receive the rights listed below.


Entitlements of the Temporary Contributory Parent Visa

The temporary Contributory Parent Visa will grant you temporary residence in Australia. It will allow you and your eligible family members:

  • Live in Australia for two years
  • To travel in and out of Australia as many times as you wish for two years from the date your visa was granted.
  • Work and study rights in Australia.
  • Apply for permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143)


173 Visa FAQs

Where do I have to be when I apply for my visa?

When applying for a 173 visa, applicants can be in or outside of Australia, however, they must be outside when the Department’s decision to grant is made.


Can I extend or renew my 173 visa?

No, this visa is not open to an extension or renewal.


Can I include my family members on my application?

Upon lodging your application you may include your partner, child, step-child or your partner’s child or step-child on your application. If granted, your family members will receive the same rights and obligations as you.


Am I entitled to a Bridging visa while I wait for my 173 visa to be granted?

No. Although applicants can be in Australia when they apply for their 173 visa they are not entitled to a Bridging Visa.


How do I apply for permanent residency after being on my temporary 173 visa?

Once you have been granted your temporary 173 visa, if you wish to seek permanent residency you will need to apply for the Contributory Parent (Permanent) Visa subclass 143 within two years. Please see our Contributory Parent (Permanent) Visa subclass 143 for further details.


I have had a visa cancelled in the past. Am I eligible for a 173 visa?

There is a chance that the Department will not grant you this visa if you have had a previous cancelled or refused visa while you were in Australia.