Working Holiday Visa – Subclass 417

Home>Travel Visas>Working Holiday Visa – Subclass 417

Who is the Working Holiday Visa Subclass 417 for?

If you are between the ages of 18 and 31 and want to have a holiday and work in Australia for up to a year, then the Working Holiday Visa Subclass 417 is for you! A 417 visa is a useful entry pathway for other Australian visas as it provides younger people with the opportunity to find and/or gain work experience in Australia.

Once you have held a Working Holiday visa for a year the Department may grant you a second Working Holiday visa, provided you meet the second wave’s requirements and are still under the age of 31. Each is temporary in nature and serves to encourage cultural exchange between different nations, as well as create closer ties with the international community.


Am I Eligible for a 417 Visa?

Upon applying for a 417 visa, you must demonstrate the following attributes:

  • Be between the ages of 18 and 31;
  • Hold a valid passport from a country that is involved in the Australian Working Holiday Program
  • Have not held a Work and Holiday (Temporary) Visa subclass 462
  • Be able to show that you are travelling to, or remaining in Australia as a genuine visitor. For example, as a tourist, for recreation, or to visit your family and friends
  • Be financially stable so that you can support yourself whilst living in Australia, and be able to buy a return or onward travel ticket when you have completed your holiday
  • Do not have any dependant children who will be accompanying you whilst you stay in Australia
  • Meet certain health and character requirements
  • Have your own health insurance, as you will not be covered by Australia’s national health scheme (Medicare), unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.
  • Have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government

If you, towards the end of your first Working Holiday Visa, wish to remain in Australia for the same purposes, you may be able to apply for a second 417 visa. To do so, you must:

  • Be under the age of 31
  • Have only had one Working Holiday visa in the past
  • Have not breached any conditions on your first 417 visa
  • Completed at least three months of specified work on your first Working Holiday visa in regional Australia.


417 Visa Checklist

How Long Does it Take?

Once received, the Department of Immigration will then commence processing your application. The average processing time is 75% of applications in 10 days.

Please note that the above global processing times is subject to change, as assessment of eligibility occurs on a case-by-case basis and will vary on the applicant’s circumstances.

It is understandable that there will be circumstances that impact the processing time of your visa applications, which may be out of your control. These include the time for external agencies, namely health and police services, and the Government, to conduct checks and provide supporting information.


While the above circumstances are unavoidable, there are some factors which will ensure you a faster processing time. These include:

  • Lodging a complete application, attached with all of the necessary supporting documents.
  • Being prompt in responding to any additional information the Department requests.

Learn More


Fees & Costs

The cost of this visa is priced from $440. Please note that this is only the flat rate, and you may be asked to pay additional costs to cover requirements such as; health assessments, police certificates and biometrics.

Learn More


What Steps Should I Take to apply for a 417 Visa?

Unlike other Migration law firms, Results Migration makes the process of applying for visas straightforward. Our team of expert lawyers will work with you every step of the way and have devised a step-by-step process to ensure your application is processed as fast as possible.


1. Schedule a free consultation with our team of expert lawyers, where we will assess and advise you on the Australian visa option that best suits you.

2. At this stage, we will gather and prepare all of the documentation as well as perform any additional checks that are required to lodge a visa application.

3. We will then begin to prepare and then lodge your application in a timely manner.

4. Finally, we will notify you of the outcome. If granted, you will receive the rights listed below.


Entitlements of the Working Holiday Visa

While you are on your first Working Holiday visa, you can stay in Australia for 12 months, work in Australia (for six months with each employer), study for up to four months and leave and enter Australia as many times as you wish. When you leave Australia, you are also able to access your superannuation when you leave Australia.


If you are granted a second Working Holiday visa, you will be able to stay in Australia for an additional 12 months and leave and enter Australia as many times as you wish while your visa is valid.


417 Visa FAQs

What is considered specified work?

One condition of the second Working Holiday visa is that you have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia, while on your first 417 visa. The Department considers the following industries and work to be appropriate activities for the purposes of this visa:

  • Plant and animal cultivation
    • harvesting and/or packing of fruit and vegetable crops
    • pruning and trimming vines and trees
    • general maintenance crop work
    • cultivating or propagating plants, fungi or their products or parts
    • immediate processing of plant products
    • maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or their bodily produce, including natural increase
    • manufacturing dairy produce from raw material.
  • fishing and pearling
    • conducting operations relating directly to taking or catching fish and other aquatic species
    • conducting operations relating directly to taking or culturing pearls or pearl shell.
  • tree farming and felling
    • planting or tending trees in a plantation or forest that are intended to be felled
    • felling trees in a plantation or forest
    • transporting trees or parts of trees that were felled in a plantation or forest to the place where they are first to be milled or processed or from which they are to be transported to the place where they are to be milled or processed.
  • mining
    • coal mining
    • oil and gas extraction
    • metal ore mining
    • construction material mining
    • non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying exploration
    • mining support services.
  • construction
    • residential building construction
    • non-residential building construction
    • heavy and civil engineering construction
    • land development and site preparation services
    • building structure services
    • building installation services
    • building completion services
    • other construction services.


Where is Regional Australia?

State/Territory Postcodes
Australian Capital Territory The Australian Capital Territory is not classified as part of regional Australia.
New South Wales 2311 to 2312
2328 to 2411
2420 to 2490
2536 to 2551
2575 to 2594
2618 to 2739
2787 to 2899
Note: Excludes Sydney, Newcastle, the Central Coast and Wollongong.
Northern Territory All of Northern Territory is classified as part of regional Australia.
Queensland 4124 to 4125
4270 to 4272
4307 to 4499
4515 to 4519
4522 to 4899
Note: Excludes the Greater Brisbane area and the Gold Coast
South Australia All of South Australia is classified as part of regional Australia.
Tasmania All of Tasmania is classified as part of regional Australia.
Victoria 3139
3211 to 3334
3340 to 3424
3430 to 3649
3658 to 3749
3778 to 3781
3810 to 3909
3921 to 3925
3945 to 3974
3981 to 3996
Note: Excludes Melbourne metropolitan area.
Western Australia 6041 to 6044
6083 to 6084
6121 to 6126
6200 to 6799
Note: Excludes Perth and surrounding areas.


What conditions are attached to my Working Visa?

While on a 417 visa you must abide by a certain set of conditions. For instance you must not work for one employer for a period greater than six months, and you cannot study for more than three months.

Please note that if you have been granted your second 417 visa, you may commence work with your previous employer for an additional six months.


What countries are involved in Australia’s Working Holiday Visa program?

Please see below for a list of eligible countries:


  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom.



Where do I have to be when I apply for this visa?

You must be outside Australia when you apply for your first Working Holiday Visa. For your second visa you can be in, or outside of Australia.


Can I extend my 417 visa?

No. In order to stay in Australia after your second 417 visa has ended you must apply for another visa to extend your stay.


Can my partner come to Australia with me?

Your partner can come to Australia with you but they must apply for their own visa.