Who is the Parent (Permanent) Visa Subclass 103 for?
This visa will allow you to live in Australia with your child permanently, provided they are an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.
Whilst this visa has the lowest application fee out of all the Parent Visas, applicants must be prepared to wait in a queue for their visa to be processed, as waiting times for approval can take up to 30 years.
Who can sponsor me?
Being a sponsorship based visa, applicants must be sponsored by their child, or spouse of one of their children. It is preferred that your sponsor is above the age of 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen, however, there are circumstances where a child under the age of 18 can be your sponsor.
The Government also permits community organisations to sponsor your application provided:
- Your child and the organisation has a relationship
- The senior representative of the organisation agrees to sponsor you
- The organisation is lawfully established in Australia
- The organisation has been operating in Australia for at least one year
- The organisation is financially stable
Am I Eligible for a 103 Visa?
To qualify and gain permanent residency through the 103 visa, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Have an eligible sponsor (see above) who is willing to provide support for at least two years
- Be eligible to obtain a two year Assurance of Support – a legal document that assures the Australian Government that you will not rely on the government for two years, after you enter Australia on the visa
- Meet the health and character requirements
- Meet the balance-of-family test by having
- At least half of your children residing permanently in Australia; or
- The majority of your children residing permanently in Australia
103 Visa Checklist
How Long Does it Take?
As the Government only provides a limited number of spaces each financial year for permanent family visas, the current waiting period for applicants is 30 years. Applications are processed in the order they are lodged, and once the threshold has been reached no more than 103 visas will be granted in that financial year.
Fees & Costs
The cost of this visa is priced from $6,010 and is paid in two instalments – $3,945 which is paid on application; and $2,065 per applicant, which is paid at the Departments request. Please note that this is only the flat rate and you may be asked to pay additional costs to cover requirements such as; health assessments, police certificates and biometrics.
The Assurance of Support also requires you to pay a bond and if you wish to add additional family members to your application, an extra fee will be imposed upon your visa application.
What Steps Should I Take to apply for a 103 Visa?
Unlike other Migration law firms, Results Migration makes the process of applying for visas straightforward. Our team of expert lawyers will work with you every step of the way and have devised a step-by-step process to ensure your application is processed as fast as possible.
1. Schedule a free consultation with our team of expert lawyers, where we will assess and advise you on the Australian visa option that best suits you.
2. At this stage, we will gather and prepare all of the documentation as well as perform any additional checks that are required to lodge a visa application.
3. We will then begin to prepare and lodge your application in a timely manner.
4. Finally, we will notify you of the outcome. If granted, you will become a permanent resident and receive the rights listed below.
Entitlements of the Parent Visa
The Parent visa will grant you permanent residence in Australia. It will allow you and your eligible family members:
- The right to stay in Australia indefinitely.
- Work and study rights in Australia.
- The opportunity to enrol in Medicare – Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses.
- Apply for Australian citizenship once you become eligible.
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence.
- Travel to and from Australia for up to five years.
- Social security payments after certain waiting periods have passed.
103 Visa FAQs
Where do I have to be when I apply for my visa?
When applying for a 103 visa, applicants can be in or outside of Australia, however, they must be outside when the Department’s decision to grant is made.
Can I include my family members on my application?
Upon lodging your application you may include your partner, child, step-child or your partner’s child or step-child, on your application. If granted, your family members will receive the same rights and obligations as you.
Am I entitled to a Bridging visa while I wait for my 103 visa to be granted?
No. Although applicants can be in Australia when they apply for their 103 visa they are not entitled to a Bridging Visa.
I have had a visa cancelled in the past. Am I eligible for a 103 visa?
There is a chance that the Department will not grant you this visa if you have had a previous cancelled, or refused visa, while you were in Australia.
Is there another parent visa which has faster processing times?
Yes, there are two alternative parent visas that have faster processing times, but they cost significantly more than the 103 visa. These include:
Being one of the most multi-cultural countries in the world, Australia is currently one of the most popular destinations for migrants all over the world. Most people who have settled and made a life here [...]