Just like Brazil, Australia offers its visitors a unique lifestyle, breathtaking scenery and diverse wildlife.

There are also great opportunities to pursue study or work here. Irrespective of whether you want to live, work, holiday or study in Australia, you must first apply for and be granted a visa. There are many visa options for Brazilians wanting to come to Australia.

The Australian Government’s Department of Immigration and Border Protection is the governing body for the granting of visas. But, with dozens of visa available, how do you know which one is right for you? It can be a difficult and confusing process.

Make a mistake and it will cost you time and money, and may even deny you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
The considerations that govern the type of visa you may be entitled to apply for include:

• The reason why you want to come to Australia: Holiday, work, study or to live here?
• How long you want to stay
• Your age, state of health and whether you are a person of good character
• Whether you want to bring a dependant or sponsor relatives to Australia
• The extent to which you will need to travel outside of Australia once you arrive

Obtaining the correct visa will enable you to enter Australia and stay here for a specified period of time. However, you must comply with the conditions attaching to the visa. Some allow you to work or study in Australia. Others don’t. For this reason it’s crucial you choose the correct visa. The focus of this article will be on just some of the visa options for Brazilians who want to travel to Australia to holiday, live, work or study.

Visas for Brazilians wanting to visit or stay short-term in Australia

You will need a visa if you want to come to Australia from Brazil for a holiday, to visit relatives or even for a brief stopover. A Transit visa (subclass 771) will allow you to enter Australia and remain here for up to 72 hours.

This visa is ideal if you need to pass through Australia on the way to another country, however, if you want to stay in Australia for longer than 72 hours, you must consider other options, such as applying for a Visitor visa (subclass 600).

It allows you to travel to Australia and stay for up to 3, 6 or 12 months to visit family, engage in certain business activities or as a tourist. If you hold a valid Brazilian passport you can make an application for this visa online but cannot apply for the cheaper e-Visitor visa (subclass 651).

Visas for Brazilians wishing to Work in Australia

There are fantastic opportunities for Brazilians wanting to work in Australia. Our countries share many similarities. Brazil’s growing economic prosperity has given rise to a workforce that is highly-skilled and well-suited to the demands of the Australian labour market. However, skills and experience alone aren’t enough. Your first hurdle is understanding your options and getting the right visa.

There are more than 20 visa options for Brazilians hoping to work in Australia. Deciding which visa to apply for depends on a lot of things including:

• The type of work you do and the industry you work in
• Your age
• Your skills, experience, specialisation or qualifications
• Whether you have been nominated by an approved Australian employer
• How long you want to work in Australia
• Your English language proficiency

Most of the visa options enabling Brazilians to work in Australia have strict prerequisites relating to skill and qualifications. It is very difficult to successfully obtain a working visa if you are unskilled.

For example, many young people come to Australia hoping to combine travel with unskilled, seasonal work…a ‘working holiday’. Sadly, as a Brazilian, you are not entitled to apply for a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) because Brazil is not currently an ‘eligible country’ participating in the Working Holiday Program with Australia. Understanding which work visa options are open to you as a Brazilian ensures that you avoid unnecessary disappointment.

Visas for Studying in Australia

Australia boasts competitive range of educational opportunities for Brazilians wanting to pursue educational opportunities here. However, your visa options are affected by a number of things:

• The type of study you are going to be doing
• The qualification you will gain when you complete the course, and
• Your education provider

The Higher Education Sector visa (subclass 573) allows you to stay in Australia to study a full-time tertiary course. This visa imposes a strict restriction on the number of hours you can work whilst undertaking the course. There may be other visa options better suited to your circumstances if you want to come to Australia to do post-graduate research or workplace-based training. They include:

• The Post Graduate Research visa (subclass 574)
• The Training and Research visa (subclass 402)

Alternatively, if you plan to travel to Australia to complete a full-time English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), there is a specific visa to suit your circumstances, the Independent ELICOS Sector visa (subclass 570).

These are just a few examples of the many visa options open to Brazilians wishing to travel to Australia to further their education and training.

H2>Visas for Brazilians seeking to live in Australia

Perhaps you have married or are living with or an Australian or want to join a parent, child or other family member already here. There is a confusing array of different visa options for Brazilians who want to come and live in Australia. Here are just a few:

Partner visas

There are several options if you to travel to Australia to join an Australian partner. You can apply for a temporary visa but it won’t give you the peace of mind, benefits and entitlements of a permanent visa: Access to Medicare, social security benefits and the right to later sponsor relatives to Australia or apply for citizenship. Understanding your options and applying for the right visa is crucial.
A Permanent Partner visa (subclass 100) has very stringent requirements. They relate to the type of relationship you are in, how long you have been together and whether you have any children.. For example, if you are married, it must be valid under Australian law. A same-sex relationship would not be recognised as valid. There are many additional prerequisites you must satisfy. Applying for this type of visa can be a complex and drawn-out process.


If you are Brazilian but have an Australian child, you can apply for a Contributory Parent Visa (subclass 143). This visa would allow you to live permanently in Australia. Many applicants for this visa are sponsored to Australia by their children.

This is a more expensive visa. Your sponsor might need to provide an ‘assurance of support’ and a bond. This is a legally enforceable promise made by your sponsor (child) to the Australian government that they will support you financially. There is a temporary version of this visa, the Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173). However, it would only allows you to stay in Australia for up to two years.

A Parent visa (subclass 103) is open to an applicant who is the parent of a child who has settled in Australia to apply to come to Australia permanently. There are significant delays involved in the processing of these applications. This is because there are many more applicants than visas available.

A Parent visa doesn’t have the same financial liabilities for the sponsor as a Contributory Parent Visa. That’s why it’s so important to know which of your visa options is best suited to your circumstances.

An Aged Dependent Relative visa (subclass 838) is another type of permanent visa that entitles a successful applicant to remain permanently in Australia so long as they will be financially supported by an eligible relative in Australia.

There are age and health criteria that apply as these visas are reserved for those who are dependent on a relative in Australia for basic requirements such as food, clothing and shelter. Applying for the wrong visa can delay the process. In the context of an elderly or ill relative needing to come to Australia, delay can be disastrous.

Risks of getting it wrong

Knowing which visa is appropriate to your circumstances is crucial to the success of your application. Applying for the wrong visa can be costly in a number of ways:

• Your application may be delayed
• You could incur additional expenses
• Your application for a visa may be refused altogether
• If you obtain the wrong visa and later breach its conditions you might be deported and might not be able to re-enter Australia for up to 3 years

Perhaps the most important thing to know is when and where to get help, particularly if your circumstances are complex. Getting expert assistance from an experienced and respected immigration lawyer and migration agent will speed up the process and assist you to identify and secure the correct visa.

You want your trip to Australia to be free from unnecessary stress, heartache and delay. That’s much more likely if you understand which visa option is best for you.

Click here to find out about how Results Migration can help solve your Australian Visa concerns

Click like or share now.